Sunday 18 March 2012

5 weeks to go

Another week has flown past and once again I'm looking back on the last seven days and now looking forward to the next.

I had a series of three rides, but all short (it was mothering Sunday weekend so I had to give a little). Two rides on Saturday 40k and 20km, and one on Sunday 40km again. These were all brilliant tests for my latest purchase, the Endura Fltye Jacket (from Evans Cycles).

I bought this jacket because of its specification and high recommendations. I totally agree. This jacket is superb, well made and a great design; it does have some cons - but you have to really search for them in my opinion. I set off on Saturday morning in the rain, cycled non-stop through the rain and arrived home in the rain. It was fair enough to arrive home with pretty wet legs, I had not worn water proofs on the bottom half, but the top half wow. Completely dry. Nothing. I had probably cycled about 15km of the 40km with the under arm vents open too, but still the top half was perfectly dry.

In some reviews there was mention of a knocking sound - I too had this knocking sound, but I had filled the front pocket with lots of stuff. When leaning forward on my race bike it made an odd knocking sound, but this is a minor con. Perhaps the most commented about con I have read its the becoming too hot and sweating etc. My view on this is; if you buy a jacket to stay dry and it does exactly that, then perfect. Essentially you are going to sweat in any jacket particularly if you are a hairy person. No further comments your honour. Except for; if your looking for a waterproof jacket, try this on for size and then buy it.

The short rides also gave a good opportunity to test the Garmin Edge 800 GPS some more. I think I have now perfected how to use it. I say that but I am sure on my next ride I will find another good enhancement. The device is at its best when you prepare and then go. Not go and the start tweaking the course set up etc. Its navigation and prompts for a device of its size is great. If you have travelled 5metres past your turn it instantly tells you OFF COURSE. This can only mean one thing, a massive reduction in extra lost miles whilst on the LEJOG ride. More importantly, no going down a massive hill only to find we should have turned left before the decent.

So this week sees a new addition to my training, cycling home after work. I will start with once this week, but increase to hopefully 3x maybe 4 per week. This will be good as its an additional 26miles in the saddle each day. Cycle fit. It is key to be cycle fit for this ride and hopefully by increasing my number of rides, not just individual distances it shall aid the 14day ride.

I noticed at the end of todays ride my resting rate had returned almost immediately once getting off the bike. Figures crossed this shall be the case after bigger distances.
I will start to really work hard on the fund raising this week too, which is going to be helped by the launch of the refreshed site e2ecr.

Please don't forget to donate: www.justgiving.com/e2ecr

No comments:

Post a Comment