Monday 9 April 2012

2 weeks to go

2 weeks today Dad and I shall be on our bikes and about 2 hours into the 14day challenge to John O'Groats – nervous and excited!

This weekend has not gone as I had quite planned as unfortunately my granddad is still struggling with his health and has again be taken to hospital. Unfortunately I only had one days ride, well one 98km ride which I completed in 3hrs 33mins on my Fuji race bike. This consisted of two category climbs (4 and a 5), but did notice my lack of energy once I had hit 20km left. I put this down to a series of reasons: firstly I did not take food with me and did not stop to take on more food. Secondly, I was really pushing myself to see what time I could get over this type of distance. It is and was a good eye opener as I shall not be racing with Dad on each leg of LEJOG we shall be steadily proceeding through each day. Therefore if we take 7 hours to cycle 100km this in my opinion is not bad at all because over the course of 14days that I think for Dad and I is a good rate.

The aim of this 14day challenge is to reach John O'Groats in a good state, not be burnt out by day 3 and needing to return home. In my mind set I have one goal - John O'Groats! 

The ride on Saturday 7th April was good, although the very early morning dew was slippery under wheels. I have race slicks on my Fuji and that meant on a short 2 meter slope I locked up on the back wheel - a good wake up call for the next 90km. The day ahead had forecast of rain and wind and all I had was cloud with breaking sunny spells. There was next to nothing in terms of wind, but as the mornings ride progressed towards midday, the temperatures appeared to drop so I was glad to reach the destination and get a warm shower and freshen up.

Hoping to pop out later today for a 20–40km ride in the rain, but I shall see how the day progresses. I need to finalising a lot of the logistical items today/this week so I best jump off the computer and get on.


Please don't forget to donate: www.justgiving.com/e2ecr

No comments:

Post a Comment