Sunday 24 June 2012

Old A3 Route

I had heard that the Old A3 had since been turned into a foot and cycle path after the opening of the A3 Tunnel around the Hindhead Lights area. I have just got back from the test ride and is fair to say - not suitable for a road bike. Thankfully I had set out this morning on my (winter) Touring bike, which is built to deal with such situations as I faced today.

The ride was a good one and sampling the Old A3 route around the beauty spot that is The Devils Punch Bowl - part of the National Trust - was breath taking as usual. The difference this time I was not speeding down the A3 towards Thursley, I happen to be taking it easy on the foot/cycle path. However, as much as this was a great route, there is pedestrian traffic and youngsters on bikes (well there was today). I would suggest its well worth a visit and a ride, but be aware of the others on the path; more so than normal - particularly if heading downhill.

Again the weather has had a lot to say for the state of the roads around this way and mud, sand, twigs and big puddles made for a slightly slower ride - gave me more chance to take the scenery in which was brilliant!

A good scenic ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment